- Official issue to mark the 30th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall
- Pure Gold coin, struck in the highest Proof quality
- Only 2,500 coins will be struck
- Packaged in a luxury cassette with numbered Certificate of Authenticity
- Legal currency in Belgium, will not be put into circulation
- A wonderful souvenir for yourself or a nice gift to give
A golden tribute to peace and freedom!
The fall of the Berlin Wall on November 9, 1989 heralded the start of a new period in world history. The end of the Cold War and the end of a divided Europe, with democracy in the West and communism ruling in the East. Germany was reunited and Berlin regained its former status as a national capital.
Now, 30 years later, there is not much left of the 160 km long wall, a cycle path has been laid where it once enclosed the whole of West Berlin, Check Point Charlie is a tourist attraction and the graffiti on the remains of the wall shows what was once West Berlin.
The pure gold 12.5 euro coin is a symbolic ode to Peace and Freedom.
On the obverse is a peace dove escaping through a gap in the Berlin Wall, backed by the Brandenburg Gate, which was for a long time an unattainable goal for many people. On the reverse you can find the Belgian Lion, along with the date, value and country name what is typical for the Belgian gold 12.5 euro coin.